Thursday, October 20, 2011

Personal Response: The Napoleon Complex (Raquel)


My personal thoughts on the napoleon complex are that it is very true. I mostly see people with a “napoleon complex” as being more aggressive and more protective. I do have someone like that in my life; my older sister is very aggressive about everything. She is about my size, but I think a little shorter. She does cause a lot of problems with me mostly, we argue about everything, and she just tries to fight me for every little thing. I really don’t know why, but because of her I think that the napoleon complex could be real. Then again, some people shorter than others do tend to be bullied a lot by a taller people and so that’s the thought in my mind that makes me have second thoughts on if it is really true or not.
 
The napoleon complex does apply to Curly because he does have a Napoleon like size and he hates people who are bigger than him.  He feels like he has to take them down, so no one could be more superior than him. Curly hates Lennie from the start, and I do think it is because Lennie is so much taller than him.  Curly feels threatened and he feels he can't let Lennie be more powerful than himself so he is going to do whatever to make himself be on top again.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your arguments in your writing. I totally agree that there is a Napoleon complex and Curly suffers from this issue. You give good detail and examples. It helps me really see what you are thinking. Be careful with your conventions. Some of your thoughts were difficult to follow because they were a part of a run-on sentence.

    ReplyDelete