Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Personal Response: Friends? (Kimberly E)

I feel that the friendship between the men is very unfriendly. I feel that George treats Lennie very unfairly and with no respect. I think that George does love Lennie, but has no idea how to show it. Lennie is a mentally retarded man. George should be able to have more patience with him because it isn’t the same as dealing with a normal person. “When I think of the swell time I could have without you, I go nuts. I never get any peace.” “You crazy fool.” “You crazy son-of-a-bitch.” “Blubbering’ like a baby! Jesus Christ! A big boy like you.” In these sentences you can see that George is getting very frustrated and loosing his patience with having to deal with Lennie. It seems as if sooner or later, he’s going to get fed up and just let Lennie take care of himself.
“Jus’ wanted to feel that girls dress—jus’ wanted to pet it like it was a mouse--Well, how the hell did she know you jus’ wanted to fell her dress? She jerks back and you hold on like it was a mouse. She yells and we got to hide in an irrigation ditch all day with guys looking for us, and we got to sneak out in the dark and get outta the country. All the time something’ like that – all the time.” George is very mean to Lennie but I also understand why George is frustrated. He’s frustrated for the fact that he can never stay stabilized in a certain place he always has to be on the run because of Lennie. “Aw, Lennie!” George put his hand on Lonnie’s shoulder. “I isn’t taken’ it away jus’ for meanness.” George in a way does care for Lennie though.

5 comments:

  1. You have some great ideas here. I really agreed with you when you said, "George does love Lennie, but has no idea how to show it." That is so very true. It seems often times, he confuses that idea that by he caring for Lennie's basic needs that he is treating him well. There is a whole emotional side of things that he just doesn't seem equipped to deal with.
    You also did a good job of using quotes from the story to back up your argument and ideas. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great story its my fav. one. that i have read from all the other ones. yours has great details. i really like your ideas and everything you wrote for the summary. keep it up with the fabulous work :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greatt Description/details ! i like how you explain Lennie's situation and George's too . I also like how you gave your opinion and your point of view towards their friendship :) Awsome Job ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what you said was true about George treat him wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...good insightful writing. I to resonate with the fact that George loves Lennie but does not know how to show it. I wonder how many people struggle with that in their personal lives. I wonder how many people do not know how to show love. It is so important to such but I wonder how many people lack the capability? That made me really think. George I feel does love Lennie but his frustration sometimes overpowers that feeling of love. I do not envy George's situation at all.

    ReplyDelete