Tuesday, November 6, 2012

American Dream


I was studying about the American dream and I found out on a website called “spark notes” it read about a man that speaks about happiness, “The pursuit of happiness,’” McMahon writes, “was launched in different, and potentially conflicting, directions from the start, with private pleasure and public welfare coexisting in the same phrase. For Jefferson, so quintessentially in this respect a man of the Enlightenment, the coexistence was not a problem.” But Jefferson’s formula almost immediately lost its double meaning in practice, McMahon notes, and the right of citizens to pursue their personal interests and joy won out. This victory was confirmed by waves of immigrants to America’s shores, from what I read, America was truly the land of opportunity. “To pursue happiness in such a land was quite rightly to pursue prosperity, to pursue pleasure, to pursue wealth” - says spark notes. The true definition of the American dream is an American social ideal that stresses egalitarianism and especially material prosperity; the prosperity of life,wealth and success.
I also read that Time magazine says, "People feel abandoned because these institutions used to be partners in dream achievement”. How can we think the government is trustworthy when we have 80 percent of Americans who don't trust our basic institutions? What this means is the dream doesn't stop, but how you get there is complicated now or different” My dream is that someday kids will not have to live in poverty. It makes me see how fortunate I am to have what I have. My other dream is for all wars to stop, and to declare world peace. All of this fighting is putting a bad impression on people, some think life is all about war, and we could live in a better place and be better people if we could all get along. to make the world a happier and more joyful place. I can achieve it by helping other people conquer sickness, hardships, and sadness. The world is a troubled place now. I hope I can make a difference. People all over the world are having tough times. War is killing many people and causing great sadness, and all the children recognize their potential and work to understand they can be the best in whatever they choose to do as a life work.

No comments:

Post a Comment